How to Think like a Home Buyer
I read a great book a few years ago; it was called “Stop Acting like a Seller and Start Thinking like a Buyer”. The book was about retail sales and had nothing to do with real estate, or so I thought. If you want to sell your home, which is exactly what you should do. You should “Think like a Home Buyer”.
When a home buyer goes to a Realtor®, they have specific things they ask for such as 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, garage, play room, game room, etc… But is this what they really want? Actually they want a 3 bedroom house with a large master bedroom, 2 bath house with large tile shower, 2 car garage with work shop and fluorescent lights, play room that can hold a large pool table and wet bar. You get my point.
So you ask how this benefits me in selling my home. Well it can be very beneficial. You need to learn how to play to your audience. You need to have a frank discussion with your agent about what buyers really want in a home.
Also another thing you should do is invite people you know to your home to give you an honest opinion about your home and how it feels to them. I suggest they be people you know, but not close with. The reason is that close friends may not give you honest opinion, because they may not want to hurt your feelings. You need to tell them upfront that you want an honest opinion. Don’t get offended; just take heed to what you are told.
There are many buyers and they all have different needs. You agent needs to market your homes strong points, so that they can decide if they want to look at your home. Remember a few paragraphs ago when I said “What they actually want”? If your realtor just lists the number of bedrooms and bathrooms, but does not make comments about your homes strong points, this is doing you a disservice.
Here are a few of the things that I have noticed most home buyers want:
- Easy access to work, market, school and recreation.
- A good quality home at a great price.
- A prestigious home that will impress their friends and family. The more luxury features the happier they are.
- People look for a secure place to live; they don’t want to be in a neighborhood that they are scared to go outside.
- A beautiful home outside. People want to have the best looking home in the neighborhood.
- Most people want privacy, believe it or not, statistics show that homes with privacy fences sell much quicker than homes without privacy fencing.
- Entertainment possibilities, People always envision friends coming over for a back yard bar-b-que or a Thanksgiving dinner.
- Access to schools, colleges and universities. People are interested in the quality and proximity of these.
- Healthy living is a must for many. People like areas that have jogging paths, bicycle trails and gyms close by.
If your home has any of these features, it should be pointed out clearly to buyers in all of your marketing efforts. Discuss these with your Realtor® and make sure he points them out to perspective buyers.
Give me a call at (208)830-7991 and I will be glad to help you sell your home for a low cost one-time SMART FEE.